Five pillars of Islam, called Arkan in Arabic are five ritual duties that mainstraim Muslims view as central to their faith. They are:
- Shahada: Pronouncing the confession of faith
- Salat: Performing the five daily prayers
- Zakat: Paying the alms for the poor
- Saum: Fasting during the month of Ramadan
- Hajj: Performing once in a lifetime, pilgrimage to Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
The shahada is the Arabic statement for "la ilah illa Allah Muhammad ur Rasul Allah" meaning there is no God but Allah and Muhammad (pbuh) is His last prophet.
In addition to this confesstion of faith, Muslims must also express their belief in the Qur'an, Angels, and Judgement Day.
© Islamic Society of Greater Richmond (ISGR)